Is it time for a garage door upgrade? Maybe you're considering adding insulation, a new opener, or even changing the door. But is it worth the cost?
In this blog post, we'll look at some of the benefits of upgrading your garage door and help you decide if it's the right decision for you.
Why Should I Replace My Old Garage Door?
The visual attractiveness of a home can be greatly improved by installing a new garage door, which is a relatively simple update.
Modern doors are typically constructed of foam insulation sandwiched between numerous layers of galvanised steel, vinyl, or composite; wood, for purists, is typically offered as a skin over solid rail and stile construction.
The insulation within the door can provide the R-value of an insulated 26-stud wall, which is very helpful for garages below residential quarters.
Before investing in a new garage door, it's important to educate yourself on the latest innovations and trends in the industry.
GarageSmart® Storage Cabinets, Draws, & Work Benches are the perfect way to organize your garage! With GarageSmart®, you’ll have plenty of storage space for all of your tools, sports equipment, and other belongings.
We can turn your cluttered garage into a clean, crisp, highly functional area for your home.
Garage door replacement serves several purposes in home renovation. First, a new garage door is one of the most cost-effective investments a homeowner can make because of how much money it will save them over time, thanks to its energy efficiency.
Changing out a garage door can save you money in the long run. Homeowners who choose to instal new garage doors may be entitled to several refunds and tax rebates from the federal, state, and local governments, as well as from private businesses, due to the increased energy efficiency that results from the improvement.
One of the most crucial reasons to replace your garage door is to make your home safer, especially if you have young children and live in a city.
But, unfortunately, that's the kind of return on investment that defies calculation.
Changing an old garage door is only one of many possible home repair projects.
The list of potential causes for needing a new garage door may go on indefinitely, but we've condensed it down to a few major ones:
Bring Out the Best in Your Home's Outside Impression
Your home's kerb appeal can be improved in countless ways, limited only by your creativity and financial resources.
But, especially for older properties, updating the outside is a must. It improves the home's aesthetics and demonstrates the owner's pride and commitment to maintaining the property.
A home's exterior can be modernised in a variety of ways. In addition to hiring a professional landscaper, you can also choose to repaint and re-side your home.
These will improve your home's kerb appeal but won't give you as many advantages as a new garage door.
Adjusting your garage door is a low-cost option to increase your home's kerb appeal and resale value.
A contemporary garage door will give your property a new aesthetic and bring many practical advantages that a coat of paint can't match.
Your garage probably detracts from the aesthetic value, if it's connected to your home.
The garage door takes up one-third of the kerb appeal of a house, so it should be a focal point that complements the aesthetics of the house rather than detracts from them.
Boost the Resale Value of Your Property
The value of your house depends on a wide variety of things. You can't change the reality that the location, the residences, or the market all play a role.
Several factors affect your property's value, but some of these are under your control.
For example, the care you give your home, how it looks, and the money you put into improvements are all under your control.
A brand-new, energy-efficient garage door is a quick and easy way to increase your home's resale value.
In addition, garage door replacements tend to offer a higher return on investment than other common home improvements.
Experts in the field of real estate investment have found that replacing a garage door can boost a home's worth more than other, more involved and costly renovations.
Seventy per cent of respondents to a recent survey agreed that a garage door was an investment that paid off.
Adding a garage door is one of the simplest ways to boost your home's value.
Professionals may often install a replacement garage door in less than a day.
This saves you time than renovation projects that need your input on the design, your signature, and constant communication.
A new garage door is an excellent selling point for any home because it is the first thing potential buyers see when they come up to your property.
An upgraded garage door can boost your home's resale value and interest potential buyers, speeding up the selling process.
Enjoy a Very Profitable ROI
Make a wise financial decision when deciding how to increase your home's value, security, kerb appeal, or energy efficiency.
You should look for investments that have low initial expenses, high-value retention, and positive returns.
Before deciding to invest in renovations, homeowners should carefully consider the potential returns on their investment.
Improving your garage door is one way to add value to your property. But suppose you have no plans to sell your house shortly.
Then, buying a garage door is still a wise and beneficial decision.
One of the best investments you can make in your house, a new garage door can also increase its resale value.
Secure Your House Better
The past 15 years have seen tremendous advancements in home electronics.
As a result, modern homeowners have a heightened awareness of their homes' environments thanks to alarm and alert systems.
While this is installed, homeowners can rest easy knowing their homes are protected even when they are not there.
When one is at home, one should always feel safe. Unfortunately, many older houses may not have the same security measures as modern ones.
As a result, intruders with experience can easily break into your home through old doors and windows.
The garage is often used as an access point by criminals.
Only 9 per cent of those questioned about home invasions said the intruder entered through a garage door.
Old garage doors can be broken into for a few different reasons:
When a garage door is old, it loses some of its locking strength. As a result, an intruder can force an old latch or pry open a door with the correct tools.
Old garage door motors eventually break down. As a result, the garage door may be raised considerably more easily from the ground up.
Garage doors that are more than a decade old probably use antiquated technology. Someone else may be utilising the same wavelength as your garage door opener.
A burglar with access to an opener might use it to target specific houses based on their frequency of use.
With a brand-new garage door, you can stop worrying about these potential security issues. Modern garage doors are fortified, lock securely, and can be connected to a house's preexisting safety infrastructure.
These days, homeowners can feel more secure knowing they have the power to close their garage doors whenever they choose.
Garage Door Replacement
How to shop for, purchase, and have professionally installed a garage door that suits your aesthetically and monetarily needs.
Find Inspiring Ideas
Get online and start looking for the brands that make the stock and semi-custom designs you desire.
On the websites of many different manufacturers, you may virtually experiment with various door styles and paint hues by dragging and dropping them into a photo of your own home.
You'll be able to zero in on a specific look and colour scheme and maybe even discover some neighbourhood vendors if you do this.
Then, place your order for a set of custom doors with the manufacturer or the distributor the company's rep suggests.
Browse for Prototypes
Miniature versions of doors showcasing various materials, insulation levels, grain patterns, and paint schemes may be available at home improvement stores and lumberyards.
The selection of full-size displays at a garage door dealer's showroom will be far more extensive. It's worth the time and effort to travel there to see the doors in person and get a feel for the prices.
Stock-size doors can often be delivered the next business day. However, please allow up to two weeks if you need them urgently.
Making a semi-custom steel door with a composite face takes three to six weeks.
Custom wood doors might take up to 2 months to make.
Find a Professional Installer
Home improvement stores will often subcontract the installation of garage doors purchased from their customers to independent contractors.
By taking this course of action, you won't have to worry about locating a professional; if any issues arise, you'll already know who to contact.
But, on the other hand, a different path might be preferable.
Ask for referrals, narrow down your alternatives, and then have the garage door experts evaluate your space and make recommendations based on your needs and budget.
Despite the higher price, you are more likely to end up with a door that is a perfect aesthetic and functional fit for your home.
Imagine turning that cluttered, dark space into a bright, elegant area of your home. With GarageSmart, it’s easier than you think. Our team will help you create the perfect garage renovation for your needs and budget. You won’t regret choosing us as your partner in this project!
Request a quotation on our website today!
Be Sure to Get a Garage Door Measurement Before You Buy
Understand what dimension you need before visiting shops or exhibitions to get a ballpark estimate of costs.
Particularly useful in old houses with nontraditional garages, the measurements are also a simple method to establish if the door you require is stock or semi-custom.
When the door is down, measure it from the inside.
Cost-Effective Improvements to Your Garage Door
Like another home remodelling, new garage doors can be purchased for various rates and add-ons.
Here are four optional extras worth the money when investing in a new garage door.
- A Robust Lock for Protection
- Power-operated door openers
- Insulate to Save Energy
- Premium Equipment for a Stunning Appearance
Adding a GarageSmart® SmartWall is a quick and easy method to upgrade your garage's storage capabilities.
Substituting a garage door is a worthwhile improvement for several areas of a house.
In the long term, replacing a garage door can be cost-effective.
Enhancing the house's visual appeal is a great way to show the owner's sense of pride.
Your family's safety should be a top priority when deciding whether or not to replace your garage door.
One of the cheapest ways to boost your home's kerb appeal and eventual sale price is to fix the garage door.
Your home will look fresh and modern with a new garage door, and you'll enjoy several practical benefits as well.
Real estate investment professionals have found that a new garage door can increase a home's value more than many other types of modifications.
The installation of a garage door is a worthwhile improvement to any home.
The installation of a brand-new garage door can significantly boost the home's resale value.
There are a number of ways to get past an old garage door.
These days, garage doors are reinforced, lock securely, and can even be wired into a home's existing security system for added peace of mind.
Online is the best place to start exploring the brands that provide the in-stock and semi-custom designs you want.
You may virtually change the look of your home by experimenting with different door styles and paint colours by dragging and dropping them into a photo of your house on the websites of many different manufacturers.
Visiting a garage door dealer's showroom to inspect doors and get a feel for pricing is a worthwhile investment of time.
Get some recommendations, limit your options, and then have garage door specialists take a look at your garage.
To save time and money, measure your garage door opening with a Garage Door Measurement before going to any stores or shows.
If you're willing to spend a little extra money, you can increase the likelihood of getting a door that is both aesthetically pleasing and functionally adequate for your home.
- New garage doors are inexpensive and easy to instal, but they can do wonders for a home's kerb appeal.
- Buying a new garage door is a significant investment, so it's wise to research current market trends before making a purchase.
- Substituting a garage door is a worthwhile improvement for several areas of a house.
- First, due to the money it saves over time due to its energy efficiency, a new garage door is one of the most cost-effective purchases a homeowner can make.
- In the long term, replacing a garage door can be cost-effective.
- When you have small children and live in a city, one of the most important reasons to replace your garage door is to increase the security of your home.
- As one example, garage door replacement is just one of many feasible DIY home improvement jobs.
- In theory, there could be an infinite number of reasons why you would need a new garage door, but we've narrowed it down to a few significant ones:
- Increasing your home's kerb appeal is only limited by your imagination and budget.
- Multiple approaches exist for updating the facade of a house.
- You might also choose to repaint or re-side your house and employ a professional landscaper.
- These additions will boost your property's kerb attractiveness, but they won't offer as many practical benefits as a new garage door would.
- One of the cheapest ways to boost your home's kerb appeal and eventual sale price is to fix the garage door.
- If attached to your house, your garage probably lowers the property's aesthetic value.
- How much your home is worth is influenced by many factors.
- Putting in a new garage door that is both attractive and energy efficient is a simple and fast method to add value to your house.
- In addition, the return on investment for a garage door replacement is typically larger than that of other conventional home upgrades.
- Real estate investment professionals have found that a new garage door can increase a home's value more than many other types of modifications.
- In a recent survey, seventy per cent of participants said that they felt a garage door was a worthwhile financial investment.
- Improving your home's kerb appeal by installing a garage door is a simple method to add value.
- A pro can install a new garage door in one day or less in many cases.
- Having a brand-new garage door is a great selling element for any property because it is the first thing people will see when they pull up to your house.
- Think carefully about how much you can afford to invest in improving your home's value, safety, kerb appeal, or energy efficiency.
- Try to find assets that have a cheap entry cost, a high-value retention rate, and a positive return rate.
- It's important for homeowners to calculate their expected return on investment before making any major modifications.
- Investing in a better garage door can be a smart strategy to boost your home's resale price.
- But let's say you aren't planning on selling your home anytime soon. Then, investing in a garage door is still a good idea.
- A new garage door is one of the best investments you can make in your home and can raise its value.
- One should always feel secure within one's own four walls.
- Older homes, however, may lack the security features seen in newer homes.
- Expert burglars will have no trouble breaking in through the antiquated windows and doors.
- Intruders frequently enter homes through the garage.
- When asked how the intruder gained entry to the home, just 9% of respondents mentioned the garage door.
- Numerous factors make older garage doors vulnerable to intrusion:
- A garage door's locking strength diminishes over time.
- Older garage doors, especially those older than a decade, likely employ dated technology.
- It's possible that somebody else is making use of the same frequency as your garage door opener.
- The installation of a brand-new garage door will eliminate any concerns you may have about the safety of your belongings.
- These days, garage doors are reinforced, lock securely, and can even be wired into a home's existing security system for added peace of mind.
- The ins and outs of finding, buying, and installing a garage door by a pro who can meet your aesthetic and financial requirements.
- Online is the best place to start exploring the brands that provide the in-stock and semi-custom designs you want.
- Many companies now offer online tools that let you virtually try out different door designs and paint colours by dragging and dropping them into a snapshot of your own home.
- Next, have the manufacturer or distributor the sales rep recommends handle your order for the custom doors.
- In a garage door dealer's showroom, you'll be able to see many more full-size examples to choose from.
- See the doors and get a feel for the prices by making the trip there.
- Delivery of stock-sized doors is usually possible the next working day.
- If you need them quickly nonetheless, please give us up to two weeks.
- It takes between three to six weeks to make a semi-custom steel door with a composite face.
- It could take up to two months to manufacture a set of custom wooden doors.
- To hire a qualified installer, search online.
- Installing garage doors purchased by customers from home improvement businesses is typically outsourced to third parties.
- If problems happen, you'll already know who to call, saving you time and stress searching for a specialist.
- Have the garage door specialists assess your space and provide recommendations depending on your demands and budget after getting recommendations and narrowing down your options.
- If you're willing to spend a little extra money, you can increase the likelihood of getting a door that is both aesthetically pleasing and functionally adequate for your home.
- Before going to stores or shows to get an idea of prices, you should know what size you need.
- Taking the measurements is a quick and easy way to figure out if the door you need is in stock or semi-custom, which is especially helpful for older homes with non-standard garages.
- Make sure the door is closed so you may take inside dimensions.
- New garage doors, like any other home improvement, can be acquired for a wide range of prices and with a variety of extras.
FAQs About Garage Doors
How Often Should You Change Your Garage Door?
The average lifespan of a garage door is about 30 years with the right maintenance. But individual circumstances vary — maybe your newly minted teenage driver accidentally backed into the garage door, or maybe a windstorm flung debris at your door and damaged some panels.
Can You Overuse A Garage Door?
Too much use, especially in hot weather, can cause garage door motor overheating. In fact, the motor will automatically shut itself down when the garage door gets too hot.
Can You Modify A Garage Door?
Although they often have a hand-crafted, antique look, sleek modern options are available as well. This hardware can be screw-in-place or magnetic. Note that not all garage doors can accommodate these pieces, so make sure to consult a professional if you're interested in adding them.
Is It Bad To Open A Garage Door Often?
There are many issues that can happen with your door at any time, especially if you open and close it on a daily basis. Hinges can break, your door can go off its track and gears and pulleys can wear out.
What Type Of Garage Door Opener Lasts The Longest?
Although they all have their advantages and disadvantages, the belt drives door opener has proven to be more durable than a chain or screw drive. On average, it can last up to three years longer than other alternatives.