There's no doubt that a garage conversion can add tremendous value to your home, but do you need an architect for the project? In most cases, the answer is no. GarageSmart® Storage Experts are experienced professionals who will work with you to create the perfect garage for your needs. We want you to be happy with your new space and do everything we can to ensure that happens.
Here's a look at what you need to know about garage conversions and when it might be worth hiring an architect.
The Benefits Of Transforming A Garage
It's just as common to use our garages as a dumping ground for unwanted items as for our cars. The longer you stay in one area, the more stuff you'll accumulate, making the garage the natural choice for stowing away relics you rarely access.
However, a garage may provide more than simply extra space for your vehicles; if properly converted, it can also increase the value of your home by as much as 20%. If you plan on selling the house soon, transforming it into anything else could boost its value and give you extra room to live in.
Should I Get A Building Permit Before Converting My Garage?
Permitted development rights cover the vast majority of garage conversions, just as they do for loft conversions, especially where no structural alterations are being made.
It is important to check with the local authority before beginning any construction, but detached garages, in particular, may need "change of use" approval. Therefore it is best to do so before breaking ground.
A planning permit is needed if your home is on the National Register of Historic Places or is located inside a Conservation Area.
The best thing to do here is to get in touch with the local planning office before submitting your application, so you know what they need to see.
It's a good idea to look into the property titles to see if there are any stipulations on the garage in the area's master plan (for example, it can only be used for parking).
Does Converting A Garage Necessitate The Services Of An Architect?
You are not required by law to use the services of an architect for your renovation. However, working with an expert architect greatly improves the odds of a successful renovation. They will also be familiar with working with the local planning authorities and other relevant agencies. Using an architect is also vital since it guarantees that the updated area will pass current safety standards.
The alternative is to engage a builder, which carries its risks due to the lack of regulation for the construction industry. However, architects are required by law to adhere to certain standards of conduct, and they should carry Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover them in case of any problems.
Hire An Architect Regarding Your Project And Reap The Rewards
It's thrilling to plan a building project, whether a home addition or an office building. Nevertheless, if you have a particular design in mind, it may be easier to accomplish this by drafting the proper design plan; here is where expert architects prove quite valuable.
Before beginning construction or remodelling, homeowners and business owners can consult with experts in this field to design or plan all structural parts of the project.
Stay Away From Bad Layouts
The potential for design flaws only becomes apparent after the job is finished, one of the main deterrents to avoiding competent building assistance.
Keep this from happening, as it will delay the completion of your project and add extra costs to repair the mistake.
A Clearer Comprehension Of Your Own Needs
Architects are versatile experts who have likely tackled various innovative and unconventional projects. Because of their ability to cater to your every need, they can make your wildest aspirations a reality.
Alternatively, hiring untrained staff can prevent your design concepts from being lost in translation, which is both unpleasant and expensive.
Using A Picture To Help
Videos, 3D plans, and highly detailed drawings are tools at an architect's disposal today to help clients visualise their projects before construction begins.
If you must present design blueprints for approval from the firm, this is a great tool because it gives everyone a clear, comprehensive picture of the final product. It's also much simpler to spot the parts you dislike and alter them accordingly.
No of the scale of your project, nobody likes to see money wasted, and poor planning throughout the design phase can lead to unexpected cost overruns.
Architects have the artistic training to devise novel approaches and options that can cut costs and provide amenities you had not previously considered. These experts provide a fantastic opportunity to maintain financial restraint by providing practical, low-cost options.
Makeovers For Your Garage
Several garage conversion ideas may come to mind if you've decided to transform your garage into a new and more practical space. Some suggestions for remodelling your garage follow.
Do you plan on having people over soon? Can't find them a place to sleep? Don't fret; there's an alternative. Make your garage more hospitable by transforming it into a bright, airy guest room. This is the best approach for resolving the issue at hand.
Finding a quiet spot to get things done is crucial when you're swamped with responsibilities. Working from a garage is an excellent option to have some privacy. In the end, you'll have a professional environment to work in comfort and order.
One option is to use an unused garage space by turning it into a new study.
Did the gym close due to the flu epidemic? Are you putting on weight because you rarely leave the house? It's time to take advantage of the equipment in the garage and turn it into a gym. Isn't that a great way to make use of a garage?
Location For Socialising
Maybe your adolescent son has always wanted a home where he and his buddies can hang out. As a result, you should surprise him by transforming the garage into a hangout spot.
Ample Space For Kids To Play
Have you spent too much time lately picking up after your kids? Need a holy area for kids to run around in? You could use your garage for this. The garage may be transformed into a brand new play area with the addition of a few toys and other play props.
If you're a photographer, makeup artist, YouTuber, or fashion influencer, transforming your garage into a studio could be a cost-effective option. One of the most popular garage makeovers is the addition of a studio space.
Converting your garage into a bedroom is a smart idea if you have a big family and need more bedrooms for your kids. However, the conversion from a garage to a living space is more expensive because more materials are required.
If you're an introvert who lives for movies, you should turn your garage into a home theatre. You can make yourself a little more comfortable by providing a screen, a comfortable perch, and some tasty snacks. Then, indulge in loud, sociable movie viewing with family and friends. No one will ever urge you to turn down the volume again.
Ready to Renovate Your Garage?
We know that a well-functioning garage is crucial to a happy home. That’s why we’ve dedicated ourselves to creating the best possible garage renovation experience for our customers. We want you to be thrilled with your new garage space, from design consultation to installation.
Imagine turning that cluttered, dark space into a bright, elegant area of your home. With GarageSmart®, it’s easier than you think. Our team will help you create the perfect garage renovation for your needs and budget. You won’t regret choosing us as your partner in this project!
Request a quotation on our website today!
There's no denying that an architect is worth their weight in gold when it comes to maximising the value of your property through a garage conversion. What you need to know about transforming your garage and when you should consider calling in the professionals.
If your home is in a Conservation Area or on the National Register of Historic Places, you will require a planning permit before making any changes to it. Architects are adaptable professionals who have probably worked on a wide range of novel and unusual assignments.
One of the greatest deterrents to enlisting expert building aid is that problems with the design could not become obvious until after the job has been completed.
Avoid the uncomfortable and costly situation of having your design ideas misunderstood by hiring personnel with less experience. These professionals offer a great chance to exercise fiscal restraint by giving viable, cost-effective solutions. Converting a garage into a work area is a common improvement project. More money is needed to be spent in order to complete the transformation of a garage into a habitable room. Converting your garage into a home theatre is a great idea if you want to watch movies alone.
- What you need to know about transforming your garage and when you should consider calling in the professionals.
- It's not uncommon for people to store unused goods in their garages along with their cars.
- As time passes in a given location, more and more possessions will be amassed, leading many to store items they rarely use in the garage.
- If converted correctly, a garage may add as much as 20% to the value of your home, so it's not just a place to park your cars.
- Changing the property into something else could increase its selling price and provide you more space if you intend to sell it soon.
- Most garage conversions, like loft conversions, fall outside the purview of permitted development rights because they include no major structural changes to the original building.
- Detached garages, in particular, may require "change of use" authorisation from the local government, so it's best to double verify before breaking ground.
- This should be done prior to any construction.
- If your home is in a Conservation Area or on the National Register of Historic Places, you will require a planning permit before making any changes to it.
- To find out exactly what is required of you, it is preferable to contact the local planning office before submitting an application.
- Find out if the garage is subject to any master plan restrictions by researching the property titles in the neighbourhood (for example, it can only be used for parking).
- The hiring of an architect is not obligatory for your remodel.
- To increase the likelihood of a successful remodelling, however, it is recommended to engage with a professional architect.
- They will have prior experience coordinating with the local planning authority and other applicable organisations.
- As a corollary, employing an architect is crucial for ensuring that the improved space satisfies all current safety regulations.
- The other option is to hire a builder, which is risky due to the unregulated nature of the building sector.
- Nonetheless, architects are regulated by the law and should have Professional Indemnity Insurance in case of legal issues.
- Making plans for a structure, be it a house extension or a commercial building, is exciting.
- The assistance of professional architects is invaluable, though, if you have a certain concept in mind and want to bring it to fruition.
- Homeowners and business owners can contact professionals before beginning construction or remodelling to design or plan all structural aspects of the project.
- In this article, we'll go through four arguments in favour of hiring an architect, whether your goal is to avoid severe complications or to create something truly unique.
- Don't waste your time on unattractive designs.
- One of the greatest deterrents to enlisting expert building aid is that problems with the design could not become obvious until after the job has been completed.
- Prevent this from happening, as fixing the mistake would extend the time it takes to finish the project and increase the money it costs.
- More insight into your own requirements
- Architects are adaptable professionals who have probably worked on a wide range of novel and unusual assignments.
- Given their willingness to meet your every demand, they can make your wildest dreams come true.
- On the other hand, you can avoid the uncomfortable and costly situation of having your design ideas muddled up in translation by employing unskilled people.
- Today's architects can assist their clients in envisioning their finished buildings through the use of videos, 3D designs, and extremely precise drawings.
- This is a fantastic resource to have on hand if you need to show design plans for approval from the company.
- It's also considerably less difficult to identify problems and make necessary adjustments.
- Attempts that are a step out of the norm
- Everyone dislikes wasting money, regardless of the size of the project, and insufficient preparation at the outset of the design phase can lead to significant cost increases.
- Because of their aesthetic training, architects can think of ways to save money and add conveniences you hadn't imagined.
- If you've decided to convert your garage into a new and useful room, you could be considering a few different options.
- Here are some ideas for improving your garage.
- Relax. You can always find another option.
- If you want to impress your guests, turn your garage into a spacious and comfortable guest room.
- We believe this is the most effective method for fixing the problem at hand.
- When you're overburdened with work, finding a peaceful place to focus is essential.
- If you need to get some work done in peace and quiet, working from a garage is a great alternative.
- Your hard work will be rewarded with a clean, well-organised space in which to conduct business.
- Converting a garage into a study is one feasible solution for making use of an otherwise empty area.
- Perhaps you have always wanted to give your adolescent son a place where he and his friends can hang out.
- To shock him, turn the garage into a new hangout location.
- Your garage would be perfect for this.
- With the addition of a few toys and other play props, the garage may be transformed into a fresh new play space.
- Making use of your garage as a studio could be a cost-effective choice if you're a photographer, cosmetic artist, YouTuber, or fashion influencer.
- Converting a garage into a work area is a common improvement project.
- If you have a large family and need extra bedrooms, converting your garage into a bedroom is a great option to consider.
- However, more money is needed to convert a garage into a living space due to the increased demand for building supplies.
FAQs About Garage Conversion
What Permission Do I Need To Convert My Garage?
Planning permission is not usually required, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building. If your intention is to convert a garage into a separate house (regardless of who will occupy it), then planning permission may be required no matter what work is involved.
Can I Convert My Garage Into A Room?
As long as you obey building code requirements, you can create any type of living space with your garage remodel. Depending on the zoning of your home, you may hit more hurdles when attempting to build an independent living space, such as an apartment, than you will when converting your garage into a single room.
Can I Brick Up My Garage Door Without Planning Permission?
Planning permission is not necessarily required for bricking up a garage door if the work is internal and doesn't involve enlarging the house. However, planning permission is required if you're converting the garage into a separate house, if your house is listed or if you live in a conservation area.
Can I Change My Garage Door To A Normal Door?
No,you will not need planning permission to change your garage door. The garage door you have is totally your choice. Choose a garage door specialist (a small local company),and they will give you a good idea what type/make of door is best for your opening.
Do You Need A Building Inspector For A Garage?
No, provided that the garage meets the following conditions: less than 30 square metres floor area. single storey. at least one metre from any boundary or constructed of non-combustible materials for example brick/block, concrete panel, tiles roof.