Are you looking to organise your garage with a Slatwall system? If so, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind as you make your decision.
Slatwall systems are able to provide extremely functional wall-based storage solutions that will bring order out of the mess.
There has been a rise in the use of Slatwall in garages as a means of storage. As expected.
The garage is prone to be cluttered, and this product is a flexible and stylish solution to that problem. With the help of Slatwall, you may make order out of chaos in your garage.
If you're unfamiliar with Slatwall, it comprises (as the name suggests) slats attached to the wall and made to accommodate snap-in attachments like shelves, baskets and hooks, which offer a better method to hang and store nearly anything.
Adapting a Slatwall system to new storage requirements is a breeze because of how flexible the accessories are.
What's the end result, if anything?
A spotless and well-kept space that impresses with its polished appearance.
Don't worry about cluttering up your life anymore.
Consequently, Slatwall is an excellent choice for storing and organising hardware, components, sports gear, camping supplies, and fitness equipment.
In this blog post, we'll discuss some of the key factors you'll need to consider before making your purchase.
We'll also provide advice on choosing the right system for your needs. So, if you're ready to get started, keep reading!
Garage Slatwall Panels: What to Consider
Too much junk in the garage can lead to a host of issues. You can't park inside, it's harder to find things, and the garage isn't nearly as useful as it could be.
You can do a lot to get your garage back in order by installing garage storage solutions like ceiling racks and cabinets.
Garage wall panels are another option to prevent clutter from spreading onto the floor.
You should weigh the importance of the following criteria while deciding on garage wall panels:
Which Garage Wall Panel Quality Is Most Important to You?
There are several varieties of Slatwall panels, some of which are more robust than others.
Slatwall panels made of MDF (medium-density fibreboard) are solid and have horizontal rows for displaying a variety of items.
Slatwall panels manufactured with a cellular foaming PVC framework are a more up-to-date and superior alternative to MDF Slatwall panels.
They're superior to standard MDF Slatwall panels in terms of weight, appearance, moisture resistance, and durability.
The security of the wall panels' mounting hardware is a further quality-related issue.
When combined with Slatwall accessories, they make for a sturdy and long-lasting display.
GarageSmart® Storage Cabinets, Draws, & Work Benches are the perfect way to organize your garage! With GarageSmart®, you’ll have plenty of storage space for all of your tools, sports equipment, and other belongings.
How Critical Is the Long-Term Performance of Your Garage’s Wall Panels?
Wall panels for a garage should be able to withstand the following conditions:
- garages designed for workshops are particularly susceptible to damage from tools placed on panels that are constantly removed and restored.
- conditions of fluctuating heat and dampness typical of a garage.
PVC Slatwall panels fare well in both of these regards. You should definitely search for garage wall panels with a heavy-duty build. And that's exactly what Slatwall panels are good for.
How Much Room Do You Need for Storage Shelves on the Walls of Your Garage?
Plenty of unused space awaits you along the walls of your garage. But how much room will you need to keep all the stuff that's already scattered across your garage floor?
Are you a parent of a large family that needs space to store a fleet of bicycles and an arsenal of sports equipment? Slatwall panels are perfect for displaying and storing all of these things.
Think about not only what you already have but what future acquisitions of tools and equipment would mean in terms of storage space. Extra storage space, if possible, should be included in any storage solution to allow for growth and change.
Considering that different garage wall panel types come at different pricing points, the quantity you require may end up being the deciding factor.
Are There Specific Weight Limits You’re Looking For in Garage Wall Panels?
The capacity to hold weight is a major consideration when selecting a garage wall storage system. You should want your garage wall panels to be strong enough to support whatever you plan to hang on them if you're going to the work of installing them.
Are You Considering a DIY Garage Wall Panel Installation?
The installation of garage wall panels necessitates careful consideration of the many obstacles that may be present on the walls.
Electrical outlets, switches, and conduit pipe are all examples of this. The garage's ceiling and floor slope are taken into consideration as well.
The appearance of your garage wall panels will be polished and complete once you add the finishing touches, such as trimmings for any gaps, corners, and ends, as well as colour-matching screws.
MDF Slatwall panels can weigh up to 100 pounds each, which is a significant limitation.
That makes cooperating with them very challenging.
How Much Are You Willing to Spend on Garage Wall Panels?
The only real advantage that pegboard panels have over Slatwall in the garage is their lower cost.
However, the adage "you get what you pay for" rings true.
Affordable pegboard panels may be all you need if you're not too picky about appearance, storage options, or longevity.
What you hope your garage wall panels will accomplish may be loftier if you're aiming for the stars.
Garage Slatwall Accessories
A garage can make good use of any number of the plethora of Slatwall additions available; all it takes is a bit of forethought and imagination.
However, the following are some of the most popular additions to garage Slatwall:
Hooks and Prongs
To accommodate your ever-changing garage storage demands, just move the single Slatwall hooks or prongs along the Slatwall panel.
Because of their ease of use, they may be put to good use hanging everything from paintbrushes and barbeque implements to small hand gadgets and gardening instruments (such as trowels and secateurs).
Bins, Shelves, and Baskets
These come in a wide variety of sizes, making them ideal for stowing any number of items. Just toss in what you need, and the mess on the garage floor disappears.
A Slatwall woven basket, for instance, may store things like gym gear or cleaning materials.
Small hand tools like bolt cutters and pliers can be kept in a Slatwall acrylic bucket, and our wonderful selection of Slatwall storage boxes is ideal for storing extra fasteners.
Acrylic, glass or wood Slatwall shelves all have their uses in the garage.
Books and DVDs can be stacked, while automotive fluids and paint cans can be lined up, and large plastic storage containers can be used for anything else, so long as there is plenty of headroom above the shelf.
Hangers for Clothing and Shoes
Put your muddy wellies on a shoe rack in the garden or with the dog after a day.
Shoe racks and coat hooks are just two examples of the Slatwall additions that can help keep your garage in order.
Tips for Using Slat Wall Systems to Make Your Garage More Functional
Set Up Racks and Storage Bins
Slat walls are typically used for hanging artwork but can also support shelves, baskets, and even ball bins.
A small investment in a handful of these add-ons may do wonders for your home's storage capacity while still allowing you to keep frequently used items within easy reach.
Put To Use Some Wall Hooks
Hang organisers or purpose-built hooks/bins from your slat wall to maximise its potential for storage.
In this way, you can hang multiple items on the wall rather than just one. If you have a lot of loose nuts, screws, or bolts laying about, you could benefit by storing them in designated containers.
Use Color Coding
You'll need a simple system for arranging your slat wall's contents if you plan to store a lot of items there.
Labels with a colour code are ideal since they can be read from far away. No one wants to be disrupted in the middle of a task in order to read the tiny print.
Hire a Garage Storage Expert to Simplify Things
Imagine turning that cluttered, dark space into a bright, elegant area of your home. With GarageSmart, it’s easier than you think.
Our team will help you create the perfect garage renovation for your needs and budget. You won’t regret choosing us as your partner in this project!
Request a quotation on our website today!
Hardware, components, sports equipment, camping gear, workout equipment, and so on all benefit greatly from being stored and organised on Slatwall.
Various snap-in accessories, including shelves, baskets, and hooks, can be easily fitted to the wall-mounted slats.
Slatwall panels are store fixtures often made of MDF (medium-density fibreboard) and have a solid construction with horizontal rows.
Slatwall panels are ideal for displaying and stowing away an army's worth of bicycles and sporting goods. It's important to choose a garage wall storage solution that can support your weight.
Your garage wall panels should be sturdy enough to hold the weight of whatever you intend to put on them.
Working with MDF Slatwall panels, which can weigh up to 100 pounds each, is a significant challenge.
The versatility of these hooks makes them ideal for hanging anything from paintbrushes and barbeque tools to handheld electronics and gardening implements (such as trowels and secateurs).
You can store a wide variety of objects in your garage with the help of these accessories. Shelves, baskets, and ball bins can be mounted on slat walls in addition to the artwork.
With Slatwall’s parts and the wide variety of available accessories, you may set up your garage any way you see fit.
- Storage solutions on the wall from a Slatwall system can be quite effective and help to create order out of chaos.
- Slatwall's popularity as a garage storage solution has increased in recent years.
- This device is an elegant and adaptable answer to the problem of garage clutter.
- Using Slatwall, you can possibly bring some semblance of order to your garage's otherwise disorganised state.
- For those unaware, Slatwall is a wall-mounted shelving and storage system that features horizontal "slats" that may accept various snap-in accessories, including shelves, baskets, and hooks.
- Since Slatwall components are so versatile, modifying the system to meet evolving storage needs is a breeze.
- A pristine and immaculately maintained environment.
- Stop stressing over how cluttered your life is.
- So, Slatwall is a great option for arranging and keeping track of tools, parts, equipment, sports goods, camping gear, and exercise tools.
- The Essentials of Slatwall Panels for Your Garage Having a garage full of useless items is inviting trouble.
- Storage options like ceiling racks and cabinets might help you regain control of your chaotic garage.
- Another way to keep garage debris off the floor is to instal wall panels.
- When choosing garage wall panels, you should think about the following factors.
- Some Slatwall panels are more durable than others, but there is a wide range of options to choose from.
- One more thing that may be better is the safety of the hardware used to hang the wall panels.
- However, they create a strong and long-lasting display when coupled with Slatwall accessories.
- Damage from tools left on panels that are continually being removed and replaced is a real risk in garages that double as workshops.
- The temperature and humidity levels in a garage can fluctuate.
- Try to get garage wall panels that are both durable and attractive.
- Indeed, that is precisely why Slatwall panels are so useful.
- There is dead space galore along the walls of your garage that you may put to good use.
- But how much space would all those items take up on your garage floor?
- Do you have a large family and need somewhere to store several bicycles and various sporting goods?
- You may hang and store all of these items on Slatwall panels.
- Don't just consider the tools and equipment you presently possess, but also the ones you might buy in the future.
- Ideally, any storage solution would provide some spare capacity for future expansion and modification.
- Since several garage wall panel varieties are available at various price points, the quantity required may be the deciding factor.
- It's important to choose a garage wall storage solution that can support your weight.
- Additionally, if you're going to the trouble of installing garage wall panels, you'll want to be sure they're sturdy enough to hold whatever you intend to place on them.
- When preparing to instal garage wall panels, it is important to take into account the wide variety of potential obstructions.
- The slope of the garage's floor and ceiling are also considered.
- Each panel of MDF Slatwall may only weigh up to 100 pounds, which is a considerable restriction.
- Due to this, working with them is extremely difficult.
- The only true benefit of using pegboard panels in the garage instead of Slatwall is that they are less expensive.
- In any case, the cliché "you get what you pay for" holds true.
- If you are not finicky about how things look, the amount of storage space you require, or the durability of your storage solution, then inexpensive pegboard panels may be all you need.
- However, your expectations may be unrealistically high if you have big dreams for your garage.
- With some planning and creativity, a garage can make great use of any Slatwall accessories that are on the market.
- On the other hand, the following are some of the most common accessories for garage
- Reposition the single Slatwall hooks or prongs along the Slatwall panel to meet your ever-evolving garage storage needs.
- The versatility of bins, shelves, and baskets allows them to be used for storing and displaying anything from paintbrushes and grilling tools to small hand devices and gardening tools (such as trowels and secateurs). You can store just about everything in one of them, as they come in so many different sizes.
- Put everything you need in it, and the garage floor will magically become clear.
- For instance, a woven basket mounted on a Slatwall could hold laundry detergent or a mop and bucket.
- A Slatwall acrylic bucket is perfect for keeping smaller hand tools like bolt cutters and pliers, and we also have a great assortment of Slatwall storage boxes for stowing away any spare screws or bolts.
- The garage can benefit from Slatwall shelving.
- If there is sufficient space above a shelf, books and DVDs can be stacked, automotive fluids and paint cans can be lined up, and huge plastic storage containers can be utilised for anything else.
- Shoe and garment hangers After a day in the garden or with the dog, hang up your muddy wellies to dry.
- Accessories like shoe racks and coat hooks mounted on a Slatwall can be installed in the garage to help keep things neat and tidy.
- Install Shelves and Drawers Shelves, baskets, and ball bins can be mounted on slat walls in addition to the artwork.
- Purchasing even a small number of these accessories could do wonders for your home's storage capacity while still allowing you to keep regularly used goods in convenient reach.
- Make the most of your slat wall's storage space, you can mount hooks, bins, and other organisational tools to it.
- Multiple items, rather than just one, can be hung on the wall in this fashion.
- Having numerous loose fasteners means you could benefit from organising them into specific containers.
- The use of colour-coding is recommended. If you want to keep a lot of things on a slat wall, you'll need a straightforward method for organising them.
- In order to be read from a distance, colour-coded labels are recommended.
FAQs About Garage Slatwall Systems
Which Is Better, Pegboard or Slatwall?
Durability. Another area where Slatwall shines is its durability. It's not completely impervious to damage, but since you're mounting items to the Slatwall, it holds up much better than pegboard. Remember, even a metal pegboard can begin to weaken if you overload it.
How Strong Is Slat Wall?
Reinforced Slatwall is the same MDF board with an aluminium metal insert in the slat designed to increase the strength and holding capacity. Un-reinforced Slatwall will hold about 12 pounds per bracket 12" from the wall. Reinforced Slatwall will hold about 50 pounds per bracket, also 12” from the wall.
How Strong Is PVC Slatwall?
PVC Slatwall Panels are built STRONG – Panels can hold up to 75 lb per sq. ft and are guaranteed for life. DURABLE – Unlike wood Slatwall, our high-density PVC Slatwall is resistant to moisture.
What is Slatwall made of?
Slatwall is a type of building material with horizontal grooves that are machined to hold special hooks, shelves and numerous other accessories. Commonly constructed of composite woods such as MDF (medium density fiberboard) or Anchor Core, but can also be made of PVC or metal.
Does Finishing Garage Add Value?
A finished garage won't increase the value of your home's appraisal. However, it may add a “wow” effect to potential buyers and shorten the time that your house is on the market.