Have you wanted to paint your garage storage cabinets for a fresh look but need to know how? Well, you're in luck! This blog post will show you how to easily paint your garage storage cabinets, so they look brand new. Keep reading for all the details.
How Should I Clean the Garage Cabinets Before Painting Them?
It's easy to get garage cabinets ready to be refinished. However, you should only go out of your way to hire someone or spend a little money on this one thing. Instead, since this is your garage, you should employ any do-it-yourself approach that you know would yield exceptional results, which could involve any number of materials.
- You can use a 50/50 solution of bleach and water. Combine the two in a bucket and use the solution to clean the cabinets before painting thoroughly. Mildew and similar fungi will be eradicated. Watermarks will appear after wiping, so ensure they dry completely before moving on.
- Next, clean and degrease once you've completed the first step. Dishwasher detergent or laundry detergent with grease-cutting ingredients can be used. Typically, they are formulated with enzymes that efficiently remove grease, oil, and filth from the treated surfaces.
- After cleaning, sand the surfaces with medium-grade sandpaper (100 or 120) to make the primer adhere more readily. Since they will be painted over in the end, there's no point in cleaning them up, so sand them down to a smooth finish.
- Use a high-quality spray primer when painting garage cabinets for quick and easy results. The best results can be achieved by following the manufacturer's guidelines. Before spraying, ensure that any hardware is removed from the surfaces.
Looking for a reliable and affordable garage storage solution? Look no further than GarageSmart®! We offer a variety of storage solutions that will meet your needs and budget. Call us today for a free consultation!
The Best Way to Paint Your Garage Cabinets
If you want to improve the look of your garage and extend the life of your cabinets simultaneously, consider giving them a fresh coat of paint.
Garage cabinets are a great option for many families since they can be used for various purposes, including stowing away seldom-used items, arranging equipment, and storing building supplies.
Protection While Doing It Yourself
When painting using chemical or oil-based products, you must do so in a well-ventilated location.
For example, use a dust or particle mask, safety gloves, and goggles when working on your garage cupboards.
Armoires for the Garage
Garage storage facilities are a luxury only some can afford.
However, many people who enjoy doing their repairs have storage systems built out of old pieces of furniture in their garages.
Simple painting and sanding procedures can do the trick, making garage cabinets seem better.
Remember that wood expands in moisture, which can lead to paint flaking. In addition to wooden cabinets, metal ones are also accessible and offer considerably higher durability in the face of regular use.
Use sandpaper with a grit of P180 to smooth off all the wood grain on your open shelving. To achieve a smoother finish, use sandpaper with a finer grain, such as P320.
Next, apply two coats of wood primer after thoroughly cleaning down the surface with a damp cloth to eliminate dust. Primers for outdoor wood surfaces, such as windows and doors, are the best option.
If you want to paint the garage cabinets a dark colour, pink or grey makes a good base.
Garage cabinets benefit greatly from having a dark top coat since it efficiently conceals dirt and dirty fingerprints.
A Selection of Products
Both water and oil-based primers and top coats have their uses and benefits.
The majority of homeowners, however, believe that oil-based treatments are the best option for refinishing their garage cabinets.
In addition, oil-based paint's gloss makes it easy to wash away dirt and grime so that you can maintain your storage containers looking brand new.
Applying an Oil-Based Paint Coating on Wood
Over the cured priming, paint on a single layer of gloss.
This should be enough to cover the bare metal if the right colour of the undercoat is applied. It's important to remember to use an anti-rust pretreatment agent on any metal fixtures before painting.
If the paint is not enough covering after the first layer, a second coat might be applied.
Cabinets to Keep Things in the Garage
Similarly to wood, these can be primed and painted using spray materials.
Sand all exposed surfaces lightly with P320 grit paper to remove scratches and flake paint before wiping them off.
Next, use a fine-grade Scotch Brite to key it up after two coats of primer have dried.
The painting of the metal cabinet can now begin.
Choose a crimson or black top coat because it is practical and will disguise grime and grease well.
High-gloss two-pack acrylics are recommended for metal garage cabinets because they are simple to clean.
Do you have a garage that’s become cluttered and unusable? Declutter your garage and organise your space with GarageSmart® Storage Cabinets, Draws, & Work Benches!
The Finest Finish for Storage Shelves in the Garage
Most people who use their garage as a workshop or storage area also have cabinets installed.
However, your garage will feel more comfortable and put-together if you paint the cabinets a colour that reflects your personality.
Ready to Renovate Your Garage?
We know that a well-functioning garage is crucial to a happy home.
That’s why we’ve dedicated ourselves to creating the best possible garage renovation experience for our customers.
We want you to be thrilled with your new garage space, from design consultation to installation.
Imagine turning that cluttered, dark space into a bright, elegant area of your home.
With GarageSmart, it’s easier than you think.
Our team will help you create the perfect garage renovation for your needs and budget.
You won’t regret choosing us as your partner in this project!
Since garage cabinets may be used for a number of functions, including the storage of infrequently used things, they are a popular choice for many households.
Applying a high-quality spray primer after a thorough cleaning and degreasing will make the process go quickly and easily.
Painting with chemical or oil-based products should only be done in a well-ventilated space.
Garage cabinets may look brand new with only a little bit of paint and sanding.
Due of wood's expansion when exposed to moisture, paint may peel.
If you want to protect exterior wood surfaces like windows and doors, a good primer is a must.
Dark colours look nice on garage cabinets when a light colour like pink or grey is used as the undercoat.
Top-Rated Garage Shelving Finish. The glossiness of oil-based paint makes it simple to remove dirt and grime.
To get rid of paint flakes and scratches, a quick sanding with P320 grit paper should do the trick.
After two layers of primer have dried, you may key it up with a fine-grade Scotch Brite.
- You can give your garage a new look by repainting those old storage cabinets, but you may be wondering how.
- A fresh coat of paint may make your garage storage cabinets appear like new, and you'll learn how to do that in this piece.
- Preparing garage cabinets for a new finish is simple.
- In any case, you should only hire someone or spend a little sum of money on this one specific matter.
- Instead, since this is your garage, you should choose any do-it-yourself method that you know will provide outstanding results.
- A bleach/water mixture (50/50) can be used.
- Put them together in a bucket and use that to scrub the cabinets clean before you paint.
- The eradication of mildew and related fungus is guaranteed.
- If you wipe anything and then see watermarks, you should wait until they dry before continuing.
- After that has been accomplished, clean and degrease the area.
- Use a detergent designed to cut through grease, such as one designed for the dishwasher or the laundry machine.
- Enzymes are a common ingredient in these products, and they help get rid of grime, oil, and grease.
- In order to improve the primer's adhesion, it is recommended to sand the surfaces using medium-grade sandpaper (100 or 120) after they have been cleaned.
- Sand them down to a smooth finish since there is no need in cleaning them up since they will be painted over in the end.
- When painting garage cabinets, a high-quality spray primer makes the job go quickly and easily.
- Sticking to the manufacturer's instructions guarantees optimal performance.
- Make sure all hardware is removed from surfaces before spraying.
- Giving your garage cabinets a new coat of paint is a great way to update their look and keep them looking good for years to come.
- Because of its versatility, garage cabinets are a popular choice among many households. These cabinets can be used for stowing away infrequently used goods, organising equipment, and stowing away building supplies.
- Having a garage to store your belongings in is a privilege enjoyed by few.
- However, many people who take pleasure in fixing things themselves have storage systems constructed from recycled household items.
- Garage cabinets may look brand new with only a little bit of paint and sanding.
- Keep in mind that wood swells in water, which can cause paint to peel.
- Metal cabinets are readily available and offer much more durability in the face of regular use than their wooden counterparts.
- It all comes down to good preparation.
- To remove the wood grain from your display shelves, use sandpaper with a grit of P180.
- Use finer grit sandpaper, such P320, to get a more polished look.
- After wiping down the surface with a damp cloth to remove dust, apply two coats of wood primer.
- If you want to protect exterior wood surfaces like windows and doors, a good primer is a must.
- Dark colours look nice on garage cabinets when a light colour like pink or grey is used as the undercoat.
- Having a dark top coat on garage cabinets is ideal, as it effectively hides grime and dirty fingerprints.
- Primer and top coat formulations that are either water or oil based each have their own distinct advantages.
- However, the vast majority of homeowners advocate for oil-based treatments for repairing garage cabinets.
- In addition, the sheen of oil-based paint makes it simple to wash away dirt and grime, allowing you to keep your storage containers looking like new for as long as possible.
- Apply a single coat of gloss paint over the dry primer.
- If the appropriate colour undercoat is used, this should be enough to conceal the metal.
- Before painting, make sure all metal fixtures have been pretreated with an anti-rust chemical.
- A second coat of paint may be applied if the first does not provide adequate coverage.
- Cabinets for storing items in the garage
- As was previously said, metal storage cabinets, which are more durable than wooden alternatives, are a great solution to the problem of lack of space in a garage.
- Priming and spray painting them is possible, just like with wood.
- To get rid of blemishes and flaking paint before wiping it off, sand any exposed surfaces lightly with P320 grit paper.
- After two layers of primer have dried, you may key it up with a fine-grade Scotch Brite.
- We may now start painting the metal cabinet.
- Select a base colour of red or black since it is versatile and hides dirt and grease.
- The best paint choice for metal garage cabinets is high-gloss two-pack acrylics because of its low maintenance.
- Cabinets are a common addition to the garages of people who use it as a workshop or storage space.
- However, by painting the cupboards in a shade that speaks to you, you may make your garage feel more like home.
FAQs About Garage Storage
What Kind of Paint Do You Use on Garage Cabinets?
What kind of paint can you use on garage cabinets? Whether it's a dark or light colour paint you choose for this project, make sure to use a flat finish. This type of paint looks good on any cabinet and is easy to clean. A roller can be used on most kitchen cabinets, but for better results, use a paintbrush.
Can You Paint Garage Cabinets?
Painting your new garage cabinets is a great way to make them look cohesive, making a huge difference in how the entire garage looks! You can paint the cabinets before or after installing them, but if you paint them before, you'll want to take extra care not to scratch them during installation.
What Color Should I Paint the Garage Cabinets?
Neutral colours like grey, beige, or tan will be easier to clean and maintain than a white shade and give you more design flexibility, too. To make the garage feel more relaxing, soothing tones such as blue, green, and grey can be used as one of your primary colours.
Can You Paint Plywood Cabinets?
Painting your plywood cabinets is a great way to spruce up your kitchen. It does take time to do it right, but with a bit of patience and a few coats of paint, you can achieve a smooth, even finish and transform your kitchen without spending money on a full renovation.
Should You Use Interior or Exterior Paint in a Garage?
Always use interior paint instead of exterior paint when painting inside your home, including your garage walls. Exterior paint is meant for open spaces with good air flow.