When it comes to home renovations, the garage is often a forgotten area. But is remodelling your garage worth it?
It's likely that you, like most homeowners, keep at least some of your possessions and possibly your vehicle in your garage.
What if your garage could be renovated into a functional part of your home? You may be pondering whether or not this is a good use of your money.
Here are some things to consider before you start construction to help you decide if remodelling your garage is the best option for you.
Things to Think About Before Remodeling Your Garage
Improvements to the garage are more prevalent than you may imagine, and they can significantly impact your quality of life and the resale value of your home.
Make sure you're doing things right before starting any garage remodelling. These considerations are essential to make before beginning a garage renovation:
Which Types of Storage Facilities Do You Require?
Because of the frequent need to store things, many people find it necessary to instal new shelves in their garages.
Having a lot of stuff in the store means you'll want to make the most of your garage's space. As you plan your garage makeover, think about whether or not you need new shelves or cabinets.
Garage Smart Garage Storage Solutions features an innovative wall system with heavy-duty sliding wall components such as hooks, garage shelving and stylish, durable steel cabinets designed to hold your gear securely and neatly in place.
Potential purchasers will be more interested in your garage makeover if you make storage improvements.
Keeping Your Garage as a “Car Garage” or Turning It Into a Room?
The first and most crucial step is determining the room's primary function.
A garage is often sacrificed by homeowners who would rather have a spare bedroom or living space.
As a result, they turn their garage into a functional room in their house. That's one possibility, but maybe you'd rather have a fancier garage that can also be used to store things besides cars.
What Will Be The Function of The Renovated Garage?
Assuming for the moment that your garage will be used for its intended purpose, there are still some significant choices to be made. Where, precisely, will you park your car? How about some lawn tools?
A common desire is to have extra space in the garage for seasonal decorations and other items that don't have a designated home elsewhere.
Having a workbench in the garage is a common practice for those who enjoy tinkering with cars or doing home repairs in their spare time.
How About the Design?
If you plan on selling your home soon, it is customary to want the garage to appear attractive. As part of your renovation, you may decide to paint the walls, put on a new floor, or even replace the garage door.
Is It Something You Can Do Yourself, or Should You Get Help?
Before deciding, you should consider whether or not a DIY approach makes sense for your garage renovation.
If you want to rearrange things, paint the walls, or put up some cabinets, you may accomplish it yourself.
The installation of a garage door or the conversion of an entire room that necessitates insulating and new walls are both large-scale projects that are probably best left to the experts.
Hiring professionals that have previous job experience in the area of your project's need is essential.
How Much Will The Remodelling Cost?
The budget must always be considered when doing any home improvement project.
With any luck, you'll be able to recuperate your costs when you sell the house—as a result, receiving accurate cost estimates and having money on hand before proceeding is essential.
Benefits of Renovating Your Garage
Fair Market Value
Some customers desire to turn their garages into habitable spaces. This is detrimental not only to your wallet but also to your home's resale value.
However, the valuation of your property could be increased by renovating the garage into a livelier and more polished space.
Thanks to your makeover, the extra room you'll have in your home and in your garage is practically priceless.
Garages are an excellent investment, regardless of the size of your project.
The price of storage containers and shelves can range from several hundred to several thousand dollars. The complexity of your project will determine the cost. A new garage door, including installation, can cost an average of $600 - $1,500.
You should expect to see a significant return on investment from installing a new garage floor.
Potential customers will be wowed by the massive range of available finishes, hues, and textures.
Water and fading are no match for polyurea floor coverings, which are also exceptionally stain-resistant.
This is a very appealing marketing point.
To increase your home's resale value, you should instal a roll-up or a sliding garage door that opens into the backyard.
You can increase your home's potential for fun in many ways by constructing an entertainment room. The door price doesn't include the cost of labour or installation.
Convenience Of Use
A garage that has been updated is much nicer to spend time in. If you're the type to spend time in the garage, waterproofing the floors and installing extra cabinets can make it a much more pleasant environment to spend time in.
The Benefits of Having More Room to Relax
Your home's value may suffer if you turn your garage into a living space, but you don't want it to be seen as just a place to store your car.
You can turn your garage into usable space by updating its appearance (painting, installing shelving, sealing the floors, etc.).
Is It Worth It to Renovate My Garage?
Keeping up with the times includes renovating your garage for various reasons. Functionality is the top priority.
In most circumstances, it ought to accommodate between one and three vehicles.
Another half-garage could be handy for extra storage space. This is why garages that can fit at least two cars are so standard.
Garages have many more potential uses besides simply housing automobiles.
Garages are perfect for use as workspaces or as extra storage space. If you're nifty around the house, you can keep all your supplies organised there and utilise the rest of the room as a workshop.
A garage can be converted into a gym, which is perfect for those already in good shape.
Coating your floor properly will prevent moisture buildup and water damage. You can turn your garage into a makeshift gym by mounting a TV and equipping it with a treadmill and stationary bike.
Weight racks and matting for floor exercises can also be placed.
Garages can be perfect party spaces if that's your thing. The garage is ideal for storing refreshments that need to be protected from the sun.
Guests can have a meal inside, where they will be protected from the sun. In light of current events, having access to additional outside space is a significant perk.
Ready to Renovate Your Garage?
Imagine turning that cluttered, dark space into a bright and elegant area of your home.
With GarageSmart, it’s easier than you think.
We know that a well-functioning garage is crucial to a happy home.
That’s why we’ve dedicated ourselves to creating the best possible garage renovation experience for our customers.
From design consultation to installation, our team will help you create the perfect garage renovation for your needs and budget. We want you to be thrilled with your new garage space. You won’t regret choosing us as your partner in this project!
Request a quotation on our website today!
The garage is frequently disregarded during house refurbishments. Isn't it possible that you could turn your garage into a fully-fledged room in your house?
Here are some things to think about before deciding whether or not to rebuild your garage. If you plan on remodelling your garage, do your research first to ensure you're doing it appropriately.
It's possible you'll want to perform some remodelling, such as repainting the walls, installing new flooring, or even swapping out the garage door.
It's crucial to staff your project with experts that have worked in the relevant field before.
Containers and racks for storing things can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.
The typical price range for a new garage door is $600 - $1,500. It's a lot more pleasant to spend time in a renovated garage.
Garages can serve multiple purposes, including as a place to work or store items.
If you coat your floor correctly, you won't have to worry about water damage. Putting a television in a garage and adding exercise equipment like a treadmill and stationary bike turns it into a temporary gym.
- The garage is frequently disregarded during house refurbishments.
- Like most people who own a home, you probably use your garage to store some of your belongings and maybe even your car.
- You might be wondering if this is a smart financial move.
- Garage renovations are more common than you might think and have a big impact on both your quality of life and the value of your property down the road.
- If you plan on remodelling your garage, do your research first to ensure you're doing it appropriately.
- Before starting a garage makeover, you must think about the following.
- What Specific Features Are Necessary in Your Storage Facility?
- Many homeowners update their garages with new shelving because of the constant need for extra storage space.
- If you have a lot of goods to store, you should organise your garage efficiently.
- Think about whether or not you need new storage cabinets and shelving as you plan your garage renovation.
- The addition of extra storage space will increase the value of your home and attract more buyers to your renovated garage.
- Establishing the principal function of the space is the first and most important stage.
- Many people would prefer to have an extra bedroom or living area in their home than an attached garage.
- However, perhaps you have other plans for the remodelled garage and would prefer a more upscale space that can be used for more than just parking cars.
- If we assume for the moment that your garage will serve its intended purpose, there are still important decisions to be taken.
- Having a room in the garage for holiday decorations and other stuff without a permanent home is a typical wish.
- In most areas, it is expected that a home's garage is in good shape if the seller intends to sell it soon.
- Your renovations can include things like fresh paint, flooring, and even a new garage door.
- You should think about whether or not a do-it-yourself strategy makes sense for your garage remodels before making a final decision.
- You can do it yourself if you wish to move furniture, paint the walls, or instal new cabinets.
- Large-scale projects, such as installing a garage door or converting an entire room with insulation and new walls, are best left to the professionals.
- It's crucial to staff your project with experts that have worked in the relevant field before.
- When making renovations to one's home, it is essential to keep the budget in mind.
- Hopefully, you'll be able to recoup your investment when you sell the house; but, getting reliable estimates and setting aside sufficient funds are prerequisites to beginning the project.
- Some buyers want to convert their garages into living quarters.
- Both your wallet and your home's market value will take a hit as a result of this.
- However, if you update the garage so it looks modern and inviting, you may be able to get more money for your home.
- The value of your renovation is measured in the extra space you'll enjoy in your house and garage afterwards.
- No of the scale of your undertaking, constructing a garage is a smart financial decision.
- Containers and racks for storing things can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- It all comes down to how complicated your project is.
- The typical price range for a new garage door is $600 - $1,500.
- A new garage floor is an excellent investment that will pay for itself quickly.
- A wide variety of colours, materials, and styles are offered, which is sure to impress potential buyers.
- Polyurea floor coverings are impervious to moisture and fading and can withstand a lot of wear and tear without showing signs of wear and tear.
- That's a selling point that's hard to resist.
- It's a lot more pleasant to spend time in a renovated garage.
- Waterproofing the floors and adding extra cupboards might make the garage a far more comfortable place if you're the kind to spend time there.
- Why it's good to have more spare space for lounging around
- You don't want your garage to be considered as just a place to store your car, but you also don't want the value of your house to go down if you convert it into a living space.
- By modernising its look, your garage can be put to better use (painting, installing shelving, sealing the floors, etc.).
- In order to stay current, it's a good idea to update your garage for a number of reasons.
- The emphasis is completely on practicality.
- One to three cars should fit there under normal circumstances.
- It would be useful to have another half-garage for additional storage needs.
- This is why most people have garages big enough for two automobiles.
- Garages can be used for more than just parking cars.
- Garages can serve multiple purposes, including as a place to work or store items.
- Use the space as a workshop and a place to store your tools and materials if you're handy around the house.
- Those who are already physically fit may find success turning their garage into a workout space.
- If you coat your floor correctly, you won't have to worry about water damage.
- Mounting a TV and furnishing your garage with exercise equipment might transform it into a makeshift gym.
- Equipment like weight racks and yoga mats for floor exercises can also be set up.
- If you're into that sort of thing, a garage is a great place to throw a party.
- Refreshments that need to be shielded from the sun can be safely kept in the garage.
- Dinner can be enjoyed indoors, where guests will be shielded from the heat of the sun.
- Given the state of the world today, the ability to enjoy more outside space is an especially valuable amenity.
FAQs About Garage Renovations
How Can I Redo My Garage Cheaply?
- Store tools on magnetic storage panels.
- Use a fold-down workbench to save space.
- Add ceiling hooks for bike storage.
- Craft a DIY garden tool holder.
- Hang overhead storage shelves.
- Keep sporting equipment and like items together.
Can I Redo My Garage?
A garage makeover isn't always an easy process but is often a top priority when it comes to home renovations. Removing the clutter, redoing the floor and adding storage might even create a room you'll want to spend time in. At the least, you'll be able to find that weed wacker or snow plough.
Is Renovating A Garage Worth It?
Whether you're just adding storage, re-coating the floor, or doing a complete teardown, garage improvements are well worth the investment. Your new and improved garage will give you a ton more storage and flex space. You can make a new hobby or workshop room, a home gym, or give your family more room to spread out.
Do You Need Planning Permission To Turn A Garage Into A Room?
Planning permission is not usually required to convert your garage into additional living space for your home, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building.
Does Converting Your Garage Devalue Your House?
How much value does a garage conversion add? If done well, a garage conversion can add up to a whopping 20% to the value of your home. Converting your garage into a bedroom with an en-suite bathroom tends to achieve the biggest added value, at around 20%.