There are plenty of reasons to renovate your garage, but here are just a few of the most important ones.
A renovated garage can provide extra storage space, give you a workspace, or even become a recreation room.
Plus, a well-done renovation can increase the value of your home. Here are just a few reasons why you should consider renovating your garage:
Increases Your Home's Selling Price
Among the few houses for sale with a completely additional living area in the garage will raise its market value, particularly if everybody in your neighbourhood has a standard garage or if you currently have a place to store your vehicle without a garage.
Real estate agents, appraisers, and potential purchasers are all likely to give a home with this extra room a greater value.
A well-equipped "mancave" or fitness room in the garage is also likely to be a selling feature.
Guarantees the Safety of Your Vehicles
Another great reason to remodel your garage is so that you can keep your automobiles out of the elements and out of sight.
Offers Versatile Capabilities
Remodelling your garage into a multipurpose room or even a new living area like a bedroom or workshop is an option.
You may even use the attic for storage expansion.
Many improvements may be made to a garage that will make it a more practical and useful space for your household.
GarageSmart® products are designed to make your garage more functional and stylish.
Maintain Your Hectic Pace
Let's face it; most modern households are busy with work and other commitments.
So an organised storage area is essential for busy families.
Having a lot of gear can be expensive, but it's worth it if your family likes doing things like camping, hiking, and playing sports.
Creates a Useful and Comfortable Spare Room
Converting your garage into a liveable space will make your house feel even more like home.
It's comforting to know that you'll have more space to call home as you ride out this pandemic.
This will make your home feel much larger, even though all you did was finish off some storage space in the garage.
Good Things Come From Change
In some cases, alteration might be beneficial. In particular, when the topic is updating your garage.
Make some alterations to your garage so that it can better serve your needs. Then, you won't look back on this decision with regret.
The Garage Conversion Checklist
Your car belongs in the garage.
You'll need to undertake a lot of work to make the place comfortable for humans before you can move in.
The most important factors are as follows:
Obtain Necessary Building Permits
Although converting a garage doesn't require a lot of planning, you'll still need a permit.
In addition, a garage conversion may require approval from your city council, which ill require you to explain the project's intent and the building's design.
The garage also isn't fit for human habitation. You must adhere to the Australian Building Code (BCA) requirements to make it habitable.
Protect a Comfortable Temperature Inside
If your garage is connected to your house, you may be able to use the HVAC system from your main house to heat and cool the garage.
If you have a strong HVAC system at home, this will work.
Consider using artificial cooling and heating instead if it isn't an option. In the hot summer months, turn on the air conditioning in your room. When it gets chilly, turn on the gas or electric baseboard heater.
Do you not like using electric heaters? Put on some logs and heat the room that way. Alternatively, you can put radiant floor heating over the existing concrete.
Before installing artificial heating and cooling, you need to insulate the floor, walls, and ceiling.
Your monthly electricity costs will increase if your garage isn't adequately insulated.
Sort Out the Wires and Outlets
An increase in electricity use is expected when a garage is converted into a living space.
Use the services of a qualified electrician to set up the necessary switches, plugs, and wiring.
Avoid attempting electrical work independently if you are not a trained professional. There should be no mishaps. That is everyone's goal.
Set up the Pipework
Planning the plumbing lines is essential in constructing any kitchen or bathroom. Find a plumber who can help you out.
A plumber can take care of the water supply and the plumbing system.
The addition of plumbing would be unnecessary if the room is used as a regular bedroom or sitting area.
Replace the Old Windows With Brand New Ones
Windows are not typically present in garages. Instead, they're limited to a big garage door.
Putting up windows is a great first step toward transforming your garage into a usable living space.
These let in light from outside, giving the room the feel of an actual room instead of a garage that has been finished off.
You could replace the garage door with an insulated wall with windows to the ceiling or a sliding door system. To reduce your home's energy use and save money, instal double-paned windows.
Renovation of the Garage Walls
Garage walls are typically made of single-course brickwork, which does not provide the necessary moisture and insulation barriers outlined by the BCA. Therefore, we suggest building an insulated stud wall inside to fix this problem.
Consider constructing walls to divide up a spacious garage into functional spaces.
Plan a Fresh Room Arrangement
Assuming you have completed all necessary structural work, you can move on to implementing the new room layout.
Get out the house plan and mark out where everything should go.
GarageSmart® Storage Experts are made up of experienced professionals who will work with you to create the perfect garage for your needs.
We want you to be happy with your new space, and we’ll do everything we can to make sure that happens.
Expenses for Converting a Garage
How much it will cost to convert a garage into a usable room is determined by factors such as its size, the style of room you desire, and the extent to which you will need expert contracting services.
For example, converting a garage into a modest bedroom or living space on a low budget is possible.
Still, the prices will increase if you need to instal plumbing, gas pipes, or electrical wiring, alter the ceiling height, or level the flooring.
Since there's no need to dig up the ground or create brand-new walls, repurposing a garage into liveable quarters is a cost-effective option.
The fact that many garages have power installed already helps you save money.
When planning a garage conversion, it's important to factor in the cost of hiring a professional designer and general contractor, filing any necessary planning applications, and paying any necessary loan interest.
Garage conversions continue to be a great method to increase your living space without breaking the bank like relocating or constructing an addition.
Costs associated with moving or constructing an addition are substantial, so garage conversions continue to be a great option for homeowners looking to increase their living space without breaking the bank.
Ready to Renovate Your Garage?
We know that a well-functioning garage is crucial to a happy home.
That’s why we’ve dedicated ourselves to creating the best possible garage renovation experience for our customers.
We want you to be thrilled with your new garage space, from design consultation to installation.
Imagine turning that cluttered, dark space into a bright, elegant area of your home. With GarageSmart, it’s easier than you think.
Our team will help you create the perfect garage renovation for your needs and budget. You won’t regret choosing us as your partner in this project!
Request a quotation on our website today!
A remodelled garage might serve as a new playroom, office, or extra storage space.
A garage can be made more functional and convenient through a variety of renovations.
A garage converted into a gym or "mancave" is another attractive feature.
If you want to convert your garage into liveable space, you'll need to get consent from the local government.
In order to make it liveable, you must comply with the standards set forth by the Australian Building Code (BCA).
If your garage and house are connected, you could probably heat and cool the garage with the HVAC system in your house.
As a cost-effective way to add square footage to a home, garage conversions continue to be a popular choice.
Converting a garage into liveable space is inexpensive because it does not require excavating the site or building new walls.
The expense of a professional designer and general contractor should be considered early in the planning stages of a garage conversion.
- A garage remodel is a great investment for many reasons, but here are some of the more salient ones to consider.
- A remodelled garage might serve as a new playroom, office, or extra storage space.
- As an added bonus, a successful remodel might raise your home's selling price.
- Some of the many benefits that can be gained from a garage makeover are listed below. Raise the asking price of your home Particularly if every other home in the region has a normal garage or if you already have a place to store your vehicle without a garage, being one of the few houses on the market with a completely additional living room in the garage will increase its market value.
- There is a consensus amongst real estate professionals, appraisers, and potential buyers that a home with this additional space is worth more.
- A garage converted into a gym or "mancave" is another attractive feature.
- ensures your vehicles' security Renovating your garage is a terrific idea if you want to protect your car from the elements and hide it from prying eyes.
- You may convert your garage into a study, guest room, or even a full-fledged bedroom.
- The attic could even be put to use as additional storage space.
- It's possible to make a number of changes to one's garage that will make it a more functional part of their home.
- The average modern family has a full schedule between employment and other obligations.
- Therefore, it is crucial for busy families to have a well-organized storage space.
- Spending a lot on equipment is understandably difficult if you have a family that enjoys outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, and sports.
- Establishes a Functional and Relaxing Extra Space Your home will feel even more like a home when you transform your garage into a habitable room.
- While waiting out this pandemic, it's good to know that you'll have more room to call your own.
- Though you may only have finished off some more space in the garage, it will give the impression that your home is much larger than it actually is.
- It's possible that a change for the better may be desirable in certain situations.
- In particular, while discussing garage renovations.
- Before you can call this location home, you'll have to do a lot of work to make it suitable for human habitation.
- Here are the primary considerations: Acquire All Necessary Permits Before Construction Begins Converting a garage doesn't call for extensive preparation, but a building permit is still required.
- Also, your local government may need to be convinced of the necessity of your garage conversion before they'll give you the go-ahead.
- It's also not safe to live in the garage.
- In order to make it liveable, you must comply with the standards set forth by the Australian Building Code (BCA).
- If your garage and house are connected, you could probably heat and cool the garage with the HVAC system in your house.
- This will function properly if your home has a reliable HVAC system.
- Alternatively, if natural cooling and heating aren't a possibility, artificial systems should be thought about.
- Air cooling your accommodation during the hot summer months is a must.
- When the temperature drops, it's time to fire up the gas or electric baseboard heater.
- What's wrong with electric heaters that you don't like using them?
- Start a fire and warm up the space.
- Radiant floor heating can be installed directly on top of the current concrete, as an alternative.
- First, the floor, walls, and ceiling must be insulated before any artificial heating or cooling systems can be installed.
- You should expect an increase in your monthly electricity bills if the garage isn't properly insulated. When a garage is renovated into a dwelling space, an increase in electricity use is to be anticipated.
- Hire an expert electrician to instal all of the outlets, switches, and wiring.
- In the absence of proper training, you should stay away from doing any kind of electrical work on your own.
- Nothing bad ought to happen.
- That's the end game for everyone.
- Get the Pipes in Place In any bathroom or kitchen renovation, the most important step is planning the plumbing lines.
- Try looking for a plumber in the area who can assist you.
- A plumber is the person to call when you need help with your home's plumbing or water supply.
- If you plan to utilise the space as a bedroom or a sitting room, you don't need plumbing.
- As an alternative to a conventional garage door, you may instal a glass ceiling or a sliding door system with insulated walls.
- Installing double-paned windows can help lower your home's energy costs and carbon footprint.
- However, the BCA specifies that moisture and insulating barriers be installed in garage walls, and single-course brickwork is not considered to be an adequate substitute.
- As a result, we advise having an insulated stud wall constructed inside.
- Building partitions to create separate work areas in a large garage is something to think about.
- If the fundamentals are in place, you may go on to designing the aesthetics of the space.
- Take out the blueprints and make some marks to indicate where things should go.
- The cost to transform a garage into a liveable space depends on a number of variables, including the square footage of the garage, the design aesthetic you're going for, and the scope of professional contracting services you'll require.
- It is conceivable, for instance, to transform a garage into a small bedroom or living space on a tight budget.
- Costs will rise if, despite this, you need to run pipes, change the height of the ceiling or the flooring, run wires, or instal plumbing or gas.
- Converting a garage into habitable space is inexpensive because it does not need excavating the site or building new walls.
- Saving money is easier because most garages already have electricity.
- The costs of a professional designer and general contractor, as well as the application fees and interest on any loans, must be considered when budgeting for a garage conversion.
- Unlike moving or constructing an extension, which can be very expensive, garage conversions are a terrific way to get extra living space without breaking the bank.
- Garage conversions continue to be a wonderful choice for homeowners wishing to improve their living space without incurring the high costs involved with moving or building an addition.
FAQs About Garage Renovation
Is It Worth It To Insulate Garage?
Adding insulation to a garage delivers a great return on investment in terms of energy savings throughout the year, and the benefits don't stop there.
A well-insulated garage can help extend the life of your vehicles, increase the value of your home, and even provide critical protection against fires.
How Expensive Is It To Insulate A Garage?
The national cost range to insulate a garage is $2,000 to $6,000, with most people paying around $4,500 to fully insulate the walls and ceiling of a 2-car garage with a mixture of batts and blown-in insulation.
This project's low cost is $600 to insulate a 1-car garage with batt insulation.
Is It Worth Finishing A Garage?
The average cost of converting the garage into a finished room costs an average $11,986 with an 80% return on investment.
So, not only does a finished garage provide more living space options, but it also provides substantial growth in home value.
How Important Is A Garage For Resale?
Garages have a significant impact on the overall value of a home.
If you don't have a garage at all, buyers won't usually take the time to look at your home, and a house with no garage is certainly going to sell for less than one with a garage.
Does Painting Garage Floor Add Value?
A garage floor coating is a cost-effective way of increasing the value of your property.
This is because it doesn't cost that much to upgrade the aesthetics of a rather dull concrete garage floor into something more interesting using an epoxy coating.