Most homeowners have lots of stuff. And if you don't have a lot of room to put things away, they can quickly take over your home.
Improving your garage's storage capacity is one option.
But how can you decide which garage storage option is best for you when there are so many to pick from?
This is a tough question to answer, but we're here to help!
This article will discuss some factors to consider while selecting a garage storage system. This guide will help make the decision easier, so keep reading to learn more.
Garage Storage: Factors to Consider
Anyone could own a cool garage. All you need is a decent flooring, some lights, and maybe a workstation for your projects, along with a storage system that can accommodate everything you store out there.
You'll be a lot more pleased with your new garage's results if you put some thought into the design process in advance.
The secret to a well-designed garage is to determine its intended functions and then build storage solutions to accommodate all necessary items. Some things to think about are:
- Who utilises the garage?
- What is the size of the space, and how many cars will be parked there?
- How does one make use of the garage during the warmer months vs the chillier months of the year?
- In what ways are rooms filled?
- What should be confined?
- What can be tacked up on a wall?
- Do you plan on using it as a mudroom as well?
Investing in a garage storage system is a smart move since it makes use of dead space and reduces the chaos that may result from a disorganised garage.
At times, it can be difficult to even fit a car in there due to the accumulation of gardening supplies, holiday decorations, bicycles, toys, and equipment.
Preparing Your Garage for Storage Systems
Before installing shelves or other storage solutions, you should resurface the floor if necessary.
Epoxy or polyurea floor finishing systems may make even oil-stained, pitted, and otherwise outdated floors look brand new. But we recommend having the experts do this.
They can sanitise and refinish your garage flooring in a single day. The effects are long-lasting, possibly even decades.
And the paint won't flake off, even in severe climates.
Keep track of everything that has to be stored in the garage. Remove clutter by giving away or getting rid of unused goods.
Find out where and how much wall space is required for storage and plan out the placement of the garage cabinets.
Also, think and decide about adding a workstation.
Do you plan on having any light sources? The garage's lighting is the last thing to be planned, but it's also one of the most crucial. The right kind of job lighting is an absolute necessity at a workstation.
A straightforward LED cabinets lighting system, however, can also be used to light up the inside of the storage cabinets. In a dark garage, especially one without windows, these low-voltage solutions can be a lifesaver.
Finding the Perfect Storage for Your Garage
Think About the Room You're Working With
The first thing to do is assess your storage needs and available space. Never assume that your storage needs won't take up as much room as they actually will; take accurate measurements first.
Next, figure out how much area you need for the car, and ensure there's enough clearance for the door to open and a clear path to the door.
Complete the task by arranging your stuff. You should first get rid of whatever you won't use or need.
Next, get rid of everything that hasn't been touched in over a year or that you know won't be needed again very soon.
Put these unwanted items into three categories: garage sale, donation, and disposal.
Finally, sort the things you're retaining in order of how often you'll need to access each.
Choosing The Ideal Garage Storage Solution
The most versatile option is to instal a cabinet or storage system in the garage, as these usually have many extras like pegboards, workstations, drawers, and bins.
They may be adjusted to meet your specific space and storage needs, helping you avoid a chaotic garage. In addition, these cabinet systems can be customised to your preferences by offering a wide range of finishes and designs.
Free shipping and assembly instructions are included with many different systems. Some parts, like shelving units, will need to be mounted on the walls of your garage, but since everything is customisable, you can arrange it however you choose.
The result is a personalised, flexible storage solution that frees up as much usable space on the ground of your garage as possible without sacrificing convenience.
Can you find stylish garage storage cabinets? Absolutely! As with any other room in the house, the garage should be decorated to represent your personal style. GarageSmart Storage Solutions provides modern storage options in a wide range of materials and aesthetic finishes.
Racks and Shelving
Installing shelving in your garage is a great way to use the ceiling height and store more stuff off the floor.
Vertical storage may free up a tonne of floor space in your garage, allowing you to store more things and making it a more secure, efficient workspace. Shelving can be constructed at home using plywood or dimensional timber.
Wood or wood composite, metal, and resin are all used to make utility cabinets. Behind closed doors, they provide a handy hiding spot for your belongings. Some have secure doors that can be locked to prevent curious children from gaining access to things like knives and cleaning supplies.
Large garages and workshops can benefit from steel cabinetry and chests for storing their plethora of tools.
Storage trays and drawers may accommodate both large and tiny implements and accessories. Lockable, industrial-strength rollers and built-in safety locks are standard features in many modern storage cabinets.
Hanging Boards and Hooks
Shops and garages can benefit from the adaptability of hooks, hanging boards, or pegboards. As your needs for hanging space evolve, you may simply rearrange the hooks to suit your current requirements.
Containers and Bins
Many various types of bins and containers are available, so you can use them to store anything from sports gear to seasonal decorations in your garage. Ones that are easy to read will help you find what you need quickly.
Hooks for Mounting to Walls and Beams
There is a wide selection of hangers and hooks to choose from. Just nail or screw the hook onto a stud in the ceiling or wall. Depending on the sort of hanger you get, you can hang just about anything from a ladder to a hose to a bike.
Is Garage Storage System Worth Investing?
A garage storage unit is a smart purchase for several reasons. First, garages that haven't been cleaned in years will never have enough space for a car.
With the help of a well-thought-out garage storage system, you may convert that cluttered space into functional living quarters.
Children can play here and ride their bikes even on wet days.
They provide residents with a location to pursue interests outside the home, like woodworking, by installing a workstation or other facilities. Additionally, they improve the security of your dwelling.
To prevent dogs or kids from getting into dangerous materials, it's a good idea to incorporate secured cabinets into your layout.
There is bound to be a garage storage system that suits your demands from the wide range of prices offered in the market.
Need Help in Choosing The Best Garage Storage For You?
GarageSmart has the perfect storage solution for you, and we can tailor it specifically to fit your needs. We have years of experience in the storage industry and know how to make the most out of every space.
You'll be able to finally declutter your garage and get everything neatly organised and out of sight. Plus, our adjustable storage means you can change your mind about what you want to store whenever you want – no need for expensive renovations!
Request a quotation on our website today!
The garages of most homeowners are cluttered with a lot of stuff, and this clutter can soon take over the rest of the house.
Increasing the amount of space that may be stored in your garage is one possibility; however, what solution is ideal? In this article, we will go over several elements that should be considered when choosing a storage system for a garage.
Determining the functions that will be performed in the garage and then developing storage options are the two most important steps in the design process. You need to take precise measurements of the room you're working in as well as the amount of wall space that will be necessary for storage.
Make a decision as to whether or not you intend to instal any sources of light in your garage, and if you do, determine where you want those lights to go.
Installing a cabinet or storage system in the garage is the most flexible choice, as these solutions typically come packaged with many other components, such as pegboards, workstations, drawers, and bins. It is possible to make better use of the ceiling height in your garage by installing shelves.
This will allow you to store more items off the ground. Using materials such as plywood or hardwood, shelving can be fashioned at home. Cabinetry and chests made of steel can be beneficial additions to large garages and workshops for the purpose of storing the numerous tools found in these spaces.
Many contemporary storage cabinets are equipped with basic features such as lockable rollers of industrial strength and safety locks that are incorporated right into the cabinet. In garages that haven't seen a good cleaning in years, there is never going to be enough room for a car. You might be able to transform that disorganised space into liveable quarters with the assistance of a garage storage solution that has been carefully considered.
They establish a workstation or other facilities to give seniors a place to pursue activities outside the home, such as carpentry. These interests can include a variety of hobbies. In addition, they improve the safety of your dwelling by obstructing the path that can be taken by children or pets to reach potentially hazardous objects.
- If you don't have a lot of space in your home to store items, it won't take long for clutter to take over.
- Increasing the amount of space that can be stored in your garage is one possibility.
- However, there are so many different choices for garage storage that it can be difficult to choose which one will work best for you.
- This is a challenging question, but we are here to assist you in finding the answer.
- In this post, we will examine several considerations that should be considered while choosing a storage system for a garage.
- Continue reading if you want more information on how this advice can help make the decision easier for you to make.
- A hip garage is within reach of anyone who wants one.
- All that is required of you is a storage system that is capable of holding anything you keep out there, along with a storage system that has a decent flooring, some lights, and possibly a workstation for your projects.
- If you put some consideration into the process of designing your new garage before you start construction, you will be much more happy with the end results.
- Determining the duties that will be performed in the garage and then creating storage solutions to accommodate all of the objects that will be needed is the key to designing a garage that performs well.
- The purchase of a storage system for the garage is a wise decision since it makes productive use of unused space and lessens the chaos that may arise from a garage that is not well organised.
- Due to the buildup of gardening materials, Christmas decorations, bicycles, toys, and equipment, there are times when it is even impossible to squeeze a car in there. This can make parking a challenge.
- It is recommended that you refinish the floor first, if necessary, before installing shelves or any other storage options.
- Even floors with oil stains, pits, and other signs of wear and tear can be made to look brand new with the help of floor finishing solutions made of epoxy or polyurea.
- One day is all that is required for them to sanitise and refinish the flooring in your garage.
- The effects are known to linger for a significant amount of time, potentially even decades.
- Find out where the storage needs to be and how much wall space is required, then plan out where the garage cabinets will go.
- Consider and make a decision regarding the addition of a workstation.
- The lighting for the garage is the very last item to be planned, despite the fact that it is one of the most important aspects.
- At a workplace, having adequate lighting that is suited to the task at hand is an absolute requirement.
- On the other hand, the interior of the storage cabinets may also be illuminated with the assistance of an uncomplicated LED cabinet lighting system.
- Take into consideration the space you have available to you.
- The first thing you should do is assess both the amount of space you have available and the amount of storage you require.
- Never, ever believe that your storage needs won't take up as much room as they actually will; instead, make sure to obtain correct measurements before making any decisions.
- Next, calculate how much space you'll require for the vehicle, making sure that there will be adequate room for the door to open and that there will be unobstructed access to the entrance.
- You will have accomplished the assignment once you have arranged your belongings.
- You should begin by getting rid of anything that you won't utilise or is unnecessary.
- The next step is to get rid of everything that you haven't used in over a year or that you know won't be required again in the near future.
- Sort these undesirable items into three piles: those for the garage sale, those for donation, and those for disposal.
- Last but not least, arrange the items that you are keeping according to the frequency with which you will need to access each one. This will help you select the most appropriate method for storing things in your garage.
- Installing a cabinet or storage system in the garage is the most flexible choice, as these solutions typically come with a variety of additional features, such as pegboards, workstations, drawers, and bins.
- They can be modified to accommodate your unique requirements for space and storage, allowing you to steer clear of a hectic garage environment.
- In addition, these cabinet systems offer a diverse selection of shapes and finishes, making it possible to personalise them to your exact specifications.
- You will need to put certain components, such as shelving units, on the walls of your garage; however, because everything is customizable, you are free to organise it in any way that you see fit.
- It is possible to make better use of the ceiling height in your garage by installing shelves. This will allow you to store more items off the ground.
- Your garage may have a lot more available floor space if you instal vertical storage, which not only enables you to store more items but also makes the room a safer and more productive place to work.
- Plywood and dimensional lumber are two materials that can be used for building shelving at home.
- Utility cabinets can be crafted from a variety of materials, including wood or wood composite, metal, and resin.
- They offer a convenient hiding space for your stuff behind the doors when they are closed.
- Some of them include safe doors that can be shut to keep inquisitive kids from getting access to things like blades and cleaning supplies.
- Large garages and workshops can benefit from steel cabinetry and chests for the storage of their multitude of tools.
- It's possible to store both large and small implements and accessories in the trays and drawers of a storage unit.
- Many contemporary storage cabinets are equipped with basic features such as lockable rollers of industrial strength and safety locks that are incorporated right into the cabinet.
- Pegboards, hooks, and hanging boards are all versatile organisational tools that can be useful in workshops and garages.
- As your requirements for available area to hang things change over time, you may easily rearrange the hooks to better meet your evolving needs.
- There is a wide selection of bins and containers available, and you can use them to store anything from sporting equipment to holiday decorations in your garage. You can utilise these bins and containers.
- Those that are simple to understand will make it much simpler for you to locate the information you require.
- Mounting hooks can be attached to walls and beams
- There is a diverse assortment of hangers and hooks available for your selection.
- Simply attach the hook to a stud in the wall or ceiling using a nail or a screw.
- You are able to hang practically anything, from a bike to a ladder to a hose, depending on the type of hanger that you purchase.
- Investing in a storage unit for your garage is a good idea for a number of different reasons.
- To begin, if a garage hasn't been cleaned in years, there won't ever be enough room for a car to fit inside of it.
- You might be able to transform that disorganised space into liveable quarters with the assistance of a garage storage solution that has been carefully considered.
- Even on damp days, this area is suitable for children's play, and they can ride their bikes here.
- They establish a workstation or other facilities to give seniors a place to pursue activities outside the home, such as carpentry. These interests can include a variety of hobbies.
- In addition to this, they make your house a more secure place to live.
- It is recommended that you design your layout to include locked cabinets so that children, animals, and other people cannot access potentially hazardous materials.
- From the extensive price range that is currently available on the market, there is certain to be a garage storage system that meets all of your requirements.
FAQs About Garage Storage
What Is the Cheapest Way to Organize a Garage?
Plastic bins are a quick and inexpensive way to optimize your garage organization. Once you've grouped your things into categories, put them into a bin and add a label. Not sure what you need? Use these tips for choosing storage boxes before throwing things into the first available bin.
How Much Is a Garage Storage System?
You can expect garage storage systems to cost between $615 and $2,635, with the national average somewhere in the middle (around $1,455). The extent of your garage storage system—as well as the necessary installation costs you may have to pay a pro—will help to largely determine the price.
How Do I Organize My Garage by Category?
Categorize the items in your garage. Typical categories include recycling, sports and recreational equipment, camping gear, automotive, seasonal decor, garden gear and tools. Evaluate things like luggage and paint and see whether you can store them elsewhere.
Why Are Garage Cabinets off the Floor?
Getting the cabinets off the floor is a simple solution. It keeps stored items safe from moisture and mold growth that can potentially cause health problems for the inhabitants. Wall-mounted cabinets offer a slew of benefits, but installing them can be tricky.
Does Garage Storage Add Value to Home?
According to a research data, the average cost of converting the garage into a finished room is $11,986 with an 80% return on investment. So, not only does a finished garage provide more living space options, but it also provides substantial growth in home value.